Educational Classes and Events
1st Saturday of the Month from 9 - 10:30 am
VEGGIE GARDENING MONTH-TO-MONTH
What to Plant in your SW Florida Veggie Garden
Adrienne Diaz of Miss Potter's Place
2nd Friday of the Month from 10:00-11:30 am
BRINGING THE HARVEST INTO THE KITCHEN
Often, there will be guest speakers associated with this class. (HEP members receive reduced rate if fees apply.)
3RD Thursday of the Month from 7–8 pm
COCCOLOBA CHAPTER OF THE FLORIDA NATIVE PLANT SOCIETY
Monthly speakers and native plant raffles
Watch for other classes sponsored by HEP:
- Plant Swap Meets Garden Clinics
- Green Living Topics
- Florida Friendly Landscaping ™
- Other “Guest Speakers”
***Generally, classes sponsored by the Holton Eco-Preserve will conducted in Hobart Hall. Some classes may be help on the Holton Eco-Preserve grounds.
Along with our educational programming, we sponsor three annual events each year. The events offer individuals and families the opportunity to learn to love nature, live lightly on the earth, and learn to grow and/or use organic produce.
General Information about our Events:
• Our speakers are knowledgeable, subject matter experts. Generally, there will be a several speakers and/or breakout sessions at each event to provide a range of interesting topics.
• Events include guided tours of both the grounds and the community gardens.
• Events include a children’s activity area - activities correspond with the event topic. Butterfly adoption certificates are available during the spring event.
Vendors and exhibitors may include:
Cottage industry businesses (soaps, worm castings, honey, gardening gifts)
Plant sales including native, edibles, and butterfly loving plants
IFAS/Lee County Cooperative Extension - Master Gardener “Ask the Expert” table
The Butterfly Estates
Annual Events Sponsored by the Holton Eco-Preserve
January/February - “All Plants Bright and Beautiful”
May - “Spring Fling – Butterfly Release”
October - “Herb Day and other Edibles – Ladybug Beetle Release”
Images from Herb Day 2016: